Sunday, May 13, 2007

Stocks I like - May

Welp, I try to keep an eye on my stocks and potential stocks and went through and looked at everything again this weekend.

Overall I'm still bearish on the market, but there still seem to be some good buys out there.

My holdings include (from largest to smallest)

CRDN - Ceradyne - ceramic body armor
CTSH - Cognizant Technologies - information tech
GRMN - Garmin - GPS systems
HANS - Hansen Natural - energy/health drinks
INFY - Infosys - information tech (India)
NGPS - Novatel - GPS components
NTES - Netease - internet gaming (China)
CKFR - Checkfree - electronic billpay

For additional buys: I'm really liking the way GRMN looks right now, and think CTSH is attractive for additional buys at this point also. As for Garmin, I talked to lady at the Hertz rental counter and she says they still don't have enough GPS systems in their cars and that demand is high. Seems there's still a long GPS buildout to go.

Of recent buys: I recently added to HANS and NTES and probably am not looking to add to any of those positions in the near term. I like HANS quite a bit but wish they'd get their backlog of SEC filings taken care of.

Recent sells: I got rid of ASVI for about a 50% loss. It was the worst % loss I have made in a long time. ASVI makes track loaders used by landscapers. The housing market slowdown is hurting their business badly. Lesson learned: to keep cyclicality in mind, even if the company itself looks like a growth company.

Stocks I don't own that I'm considering for additions.
This list is probably similar to last month's list, but here goes:
GOOG - Google. Anyway I slice it this stock looks inexpensive to me given its growth rate and profit levels. It's a megacap stock which I rarely find attractive, but it's very interesting still.
NTRI - Nutrisystems - weight loss
LIFC - Lifecell - tissue regeneration
PRAA - Portfolio Recovery - debt collections
PMTI - Palomar Tech - cosmetic lasers
TRAD - Tradestation group - online broker and automated software

I'm going to list a couple disk drive players here too. Tech can be boom/bust, but these have seemed awefully cheap to me since they showed up on my screens earlier this year.
WDC - Western Digital
KOMG - Komag

I haven't decided if I'm going to make any buys/sells this month, but if I buy it'll probably come from some of the stocks above. I'm really not inclined to make any sells of existing positions based on valuation currently.

Well, that about does it for ideas for this month. I'll post if I add anything.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi
We are looking for Industry professionals who write on IT, ITeS or related Industry. We would be interested in talking to you. Can you please send us your email at Invitation.thinkingstreet@gmail.com

Thanks Anuja.

Redeye Malone said...

Hi anuja,
Sorry, but I'm completely a hobbyist. I have no professional credentials whatsoever.