Thursday, May 10, 2007

Comic book advertisements

I was looking through some old comic books from when I was a kid and realized the advertisements are now more interesting than the comics.

Sea Monkeys - this is probably the classic advertisement all kids remember. (click on images to enlarge)


And does anybody remember the "Hubba Bubba" western duels on Saturday morning cartoons with the sheriff and the bad guy seeing who could blow the biggest bubble? Some kids at school would put a whole pack in their mouth to try to blow giant bubbles.

Here's a Spiderman toy I remember my brother had. It had a little pulley in it and Spidey could pull himself up with his web.

Looking through the comics it's clear that me and my brother were into comics with alot of fighting, and most of the ads reflect toys aimed at kids into fighting. I actually think we might've ordered these Roman soldier toys (I vaguely remember the catapults).

Here are some other cool little kid toys. Here are the Revolutionary War variety.

And the World War II variety




I thought this Battlestar Galactica ad for the "gold, not silver" Cylon was cool too. Check out Commander Adama in the background.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasnt there a company called GRIT that advertised in comic books? You sold magazines for them and got rewarded with things like x-ray specs and yo-yos?

I also like the one where the wimpy guy gets sand kicked on him at the beach, so he muscles up thanks to Charlie Atlas and kicks some ass.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was going to mention those x-ray specs and the Charles Atlas ads, too.

And couldn't you also buy lifts for your shoes? And itching powder? Oh! And free stamps from around the world! I always wanted to send off for those. :)

Redeye Malone said...

You all are right. I saw some of those ads too.

I'll follow up with some of that stuff in a later post.

Trish Milburn said...

These ads, particularly the Sea Monkeys and the gold Cylon, crack me up. Wow, those old Battlestar Galacticas were cheesy and funny.