Saturday, November 3, 2007

Bourbon and Bluegrass

Each weekend the NY Times has a travel section that talks about sortof out-of-the-way places. This week they had an article titled "Bourbon & Bluegrass" talking about visiting the Bourbon Distilleries in and around Bardstown in central Kentucky , visiting a little music spot in Mercer county KY called "the Barn", and visiting a bluegrass festival in Rosine KY, the home of Bill Monroe in Ohio county. (Per Wikipedia the population of Rosine is 41 people).

When I was little I remember going to one of the distilleries up there. As a kid I remember the smell being - how shall I put it - strong - and also being afraid of heights because the big tall vats of mash were surrounded by see-through metal grills that we walked on about 20 feet up in the air. I was afraid I'd fall through so was glad when the tour ended.

Anyhow, here's the link to the article. It think it requires a NYTimes i.d., but it's free to setup.

No comments: