Thursday, November 20, 2008

Try this for a Chili recipe

Talked to my Dad and he said I needed to post some. I haven't had much to post about recently so I thought I'd put a chili recipe up. I made this for work the other day and at least some of the folks in the office ate it. It's a variation on my Mom's base recipe.

1 lb ground beef
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato soup
1 can black beans
(if you like more beans, add 2nd can of red kidney beans)
small can mushrooms
2 teaspoons of chili powder
couple stalks of diced celery if you have fresh, if not a healthy does of celery flakes will work. I like what celery does for chili
small diced onion
some shakes of crushed red pepper (the stuff you sprinkle on pizzas) for a little bite - suggestion from my Aunt Helen
spaghetti if you like spaghetti in your chili.
a shot or two of ketchup

I think that's about it...

Brown the hamburger, with the onions mixed in. Throw the mushrooms in too at this point if you have them (and celery also if you're using the celery stalks) and fry them up so they're softer.

When that's ready add the other stuff to the pot. When it starts bubbling, turn the heat to a lower setting and let it simmer for a while, maybe 30 minutes to an hour. If it's too thick add a bit of water.

That's pretty much it. Add some cheese and Zesta crackers and eat it. Maybe dunk in a grilled cheese sandwich or pimento cheese for accompaniment.

No comments: