Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Money Markets

Here's an interesting article about an upcoming SEC vote that would reduce or eliminate the government backstop of money market funds and require the money market funds to set aside reserves for unexpected runs/withdrawals when securities may be down in value.  According to the article several large money market funds' values had fallen below the $1.00 mark during the financial crisis of 2008.  I guess bottom line:  this is worth paying attention to.  If it happens it will place more emphasis on safety - probably driving me to pay more attention to what my money market invests in.  I don't get hardly interest from my existing money markets anyway (I think 0.1% apr anyway on most of them), so maybe just leaving it all in cash makes more sense anyhow.

No comments: