Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Some More Marcus Aurelius

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Been spending a lot of time practicing guitar and learning new songs. I was thinking that I hadn't posted any of my favorite Marcus Aurelius quotes in a while, so I figured I'd share a few more.

Here's one I need to keep in mind when I don't want to go to work in the morning (all of these are from his "Meditations")

5.1 At dawn, when you have trouble getting out of bed, tell yourself: “I have to go to work – as a human being. What do I have to complain of, if I’m going to do what I was born for – the things I was brought into the world to do? Or is this what I was created for? To huddle under the blankets and stay warm?

and one that I'm particularly fond of

8.57 What doesn’t transmit light creates its own darkness.


Marcus Aurelius was a Roman Emporer from 161-180 A.D. Read more from Wikipedia.

No comments: